AUTHORITY- a person with extensive or specialized knowledge about a subject; an expert, as well as a book or other source able to supply reliable information or evidence, typically to settle a dispute.
- Is the source identifiable?
- Does the author/source have expertise in the subject?
- Are they qualified to write about the subject?
- Is there a sponsoring entity affiliated with the site?
- Look for the name of the author or sponsoring entity.
- Is there contact information available, such as a publisher or email address?
- Are the credentials or expertise of the source verifiable?
An example of authority: If a book or article is in your college or university library or is published by a reputable university press, or if an article is in a standard academic journal, that means that several academic scholars have considered the information and considered it worthy to publish.